Saving lives with technology – the world of industrial safetytech
Organised by: Safetytech Accelerator
Hear from industry leaders and technology innovators on how technology can help solve industrial safety challenges. Have a safety challenge to solve, or a technology which could help? Join us.
Industrial safetytech is becoming an increasingly important UK technology sector - gaining traction in safety critical industries such as construction, transportation and maritime.
Funding for UK startups using new technologies such as AI, sensors, wearables, virtual reality, drones, robots and data analytics to reduce risk and improve safety in industrial workplaces has increased almost five-fold following COVID-19.
Investment hit an all-time high of £103 million in 2021. And even though funding in 2022 didn’t match the highs of 2021, investment in industrial safetytech startups is still over ten times higher than in 2018.
As part of London Tech Week 2023, in collaboration with Discovering Safety - a programme of work led by The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) - we are delighted to bring together speakers from the maritime, construction and aviation industries for a panel discussion on the potential of safetytech in safety critical industries, with a tech investor perspective. Then we will convene a panel of UK technology companies who have developed technology in the category.
The companies represented recently took part in the world’s first regulatory sandbox for industrial safetytech. We will also be sharing some of our findings from this work.
- Introduction by Maurizio Pilu, Managing Director at Safetytech Accelerator
- Panel one – The Demand for Safetytech - Moderated by Seb Corby, Principal Innovation Consultant at Safetytech Accelerator
- Andrew Rippington, Health and Safety Lead at BAM Nuttall
- George Mosey, Head of Health, Safety and Environment at Laing O’Rourke
- Mark Saunders, Client Director at Colas Ltd
- Xanyar Kamangar, Angel Investor at Griffon Capital
- Panel two – The Tech Ecosystem - Moderated by Nadia Echchihab, Head of Innovation Programmes at Safetytech Accelerator
The regulator’s perspective on safetytech - Introduction from Helen Balmforth, Head of Centre for Data Analytics at HSE, Discovering Safety Programme Director
- Brendan Digney, Founder at Machine Eye
- Sebastian Andraos, CEO and Co-Founder at HAL-Robotics
- David Greenberg, Founder and Executive Director at Eave
- Shelley Copsey, CEO at FYLD
Join us for a thought-provoking conversation, where we will discuss the potential of technology in improving safety and minimising risk, challenges and obstacles faced in the industry, and the perspectives of industry executives, regulator and the technology side.
We'll wrap up with lunch and a chance to network with colleagues.
Will be of interest to those in industry, tech, regulation or health & safety.
If you're interested in safety in industry, safety innovation across industries such as construction, manufacturing, maritime, and UK safety regulation this event is for you.
Safetytech Accelerator is the world’s first fully dedicated technology accelerator focused on safety and risk in industrial sectors. A non-profit organisation established by Lloyd’s Register, Safetytech Accelerator’s mission is to make the world safer and more sustainable through the wider adoption of safetytech.